Harper Lee, born in Alabama in 1926, was one of four. She grew up as a tom boy with a love for reading, this may have been induced by her father (a newspaper editor). She grew up in the town of Scottsboro, where she would encounter trial cases that would later inspire her now-famous book To Kill A Mockingbird. These cases regarded white women who had been reportedly raped by black men. At the time these cases started she was only 5 years old, a very impressionable age. She went on to attend college at University of Alabama, also studying a year at Oxford. As an adult she worked as clerk in New York, writing in her spare time. Until one year a friend gave her a year worth of wages as to provided her with the time to fallow her passion, writing. With in this year she wrote To Kill A Mockingbird, her only book. Published in 1960, and later made into a movie, her work was rewarded with a Pulitzer Prize. She was also later added to National Council of Arts by President Johnson.
References
http://www.gradesaver.com/author/harper-lee/
http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/1825.Harper_Lee
http://www.biography.com/articles/Harper-Lee-9377021
Hey Michelle, did you know that I dont care about spelling. Also did you know that her mom might have been bipolar. Overall I thought you had some really good information on your blog, I also had some of the same information. Your spelling is really good. COngradulations
ReplyDeleteHello MIchelle, I found the post to be fairly interesting. The way you wrote about certain things is what really made me intrigued. Especially the part that you wrote about when I discovered she has been awarded the National Council of Arts. I can tell that the effect of the trial when she was 5 years old.
ReplyDeleteIt is very cool that Harper began her education of legal court at the age of only five. I guess that is why she has such well written trial parts in her book. It is also impressive that she wrote such a great book in only one year. But I guess she made her money’s worth because of it being a book, movie, and won the Pulitzer Prize.
ReplyDelete